Saturday, February 13, 2016

Homemade Nutella

I wanted to give homemade Nutella a go so went to buy some hazelnuts, but the amount I needed cost more than a jar of Nutella! So I went to the bulk food shop to buy some and, although still expensive, I bought what I needed. Once home I followed the first recipe to roast the hazelnuts and BURNT THEM! Yuk! they wore so bitter and very gone. So, luckily I had also bought some almonds, which I think are my favourite nuts, so decided to substitute them. It turned out deliciously!
The following week I decided to try the second recipe (with almonds still), which uses cocoa powder instead of chocolate so would therefore be a little better for you and dairy free. I think the first one is yummier but could eat either of them by the spoonful.

Recipe 1 
1 cup hazelnuts (or almonds)
340g milk chocolate, melted
2 Tbs vegetable oil
3 Tbs icing sugar (or sugar)
1 Tbs cocoa powder 
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
3/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 176°C). Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 12 minutes, until they’ve browned a little and the skins are blistered a little. Wrap them in a kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove as much loose skin as possible. Let cool completely.
In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts until they form a paste. Add the oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt and continue processing until the mixture is as smooth as possible–or as smooth as you like. Add the melted chocolate, blend well. It will thicken as it cools. Scrape into a jar let it cool to room temperature. The Nutella will keep on the counter at room temperature for up to 2 weeks
via

Recipe 2
1 cup toasted hazelnuts, peeled (or almonds)
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup icing sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp kosher salt
4 Tbs canola oil


Place the hazelnuts in your food processor and blend continuously until they turn into a smooth butter, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and continue blending until smooth and creamy. If stored in the refrigerator, the Nutella is good 2 weeks.
via 

No comments: